Catholic schools must deliver RSE in accordance with the teachings of the Catholic Church as well as following the guidance of the DfE.
RSE is part of the mission of Catholic schools to educate the whole person.
Aims of Relationship and Sex Education (RSE)
At the heart of Christian faith, is love. St John says, that God if love (1 John 4:9) and the whole purpose of Christianity is to live it as fully as possible in and through love. This means that we have to link every aspect of our being – from birth to death – with love.
The whole purpose of education at home and in our primary school is to connect every aspect of growth, physical, emotional, intellectual and social, with love. The ultimate goal is to enable adults to fully love themselves (to accept themselves positively) and in turn love their neighbour (making themselves fully available to others).
“Through our love for others, we link ourselves with God the Father, through Jesus Christ his Son, and through the Spirit.” Dr. Jack Dominian (A Journey in Love)
The programme for Relationships and Sex Education which we have chosen to share at St Maria Goretti Catholic Primary School is called ‘A Journey in Love’.
How will we organise lessons for Journey in Love?
• before the programme begins ground rules are set with the children regarding the kind of positive behaviour expected of every child,
• all children and teachers treat each other with respect, all questions and answers are listened to in a sensitive and sensible manner,
• children may be taught in small groups for some elements of the programme,
• some lessons may be taught in single sex groups as appropriate,
• all children will cover the same topics,
• lessons may include: discussions, presentations, questions, written work and homework.